Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Misconceptions of the veil


Whilst wasting time this morning and procrastinating about uni work (sound familiar???) I fortunately came across a segment on one of the morning shows that had a lot of significance to my blog topic. As I noted in my last post I am focusing on the stereotypes of Muslims and the Islamic faith within our community. This morning on the 9am show with David and Kim on Channel 10 I was really interested to see an interview that centred around this exact topic. A lady by the name of Janine Evans was on the program discussing the misconceptions people have about the faith and the negative stigmas that are often placed on those who choose to wear the veil or hi jab as it is also known.

Janine went on to speak of misunderstanding, fear and patronising comments that she finds are often associated with the veil and how since the terrorist attacks of September 11 those who wear the veil and fit the stereotypes that people have of Muslim people have been the victims of severe criticism, racism and daily abuse.

One of the presenters then questioned her on the use of the veil as a way of oppressing women and I think that Janine made a good comment when she said that it is people who oppress people not religions.

Many people do not understand the significance and choice associated in the wearing of the veil and I have noticed this recently in my own personal experience. My boyfriend and his family are Muslim and when discussing my topic recently with friends they were suprised to hear this and to hear that many of the women in the family do not wear a scarf. When hearing their suprise it demonstrated to me that so many people whether consciously or not have these stereotypes in built. Many expect muslims to look Arabic, the women to wear the scarf ( which is not compulsory, it is a choice) and in recent times sadly people expect that all muslims are interested in extremist sects that promote terrorism.

I think that many people would be suprised at how wrong these ideas are and at how diverse the Muslim population is.

A quick google on the net retrieves thousands of links to articles and debates on this topic and the discussion of the veil this morning made me consider devoting part of my first blog to it and the stereotypes associated. There are a lot of issues that i can deal with do I might further research this area.

Thankyou to the comments that people have left from my last post, please keep them coming, i am very interested in what you have to say !!

I am also interested in hearing peoples opinions on the wearing of veils in schools. A short while back this was a hot topic within the media and I am interested to hear if you see any problems with those who choose to wear a veil to school (or a work place) ???


No comments: