Friday, August 31, 2007

MY Results

Hey everyone over the last few days I sent out a list of words and did a bit of my own research when it comes to looking at stereotypes of Muslim people. In the list of words I had 4 that i was particuarly interested in (listed below with results). I tried to insert a table with my results but it wouldn,t let me so hopefully you can make sense of the numbers below. Typical stereotypical responses are also included. The first number listed is the number of neutral responses and the second the words associated with the stereotype.
There are obvious limitations to my figures as i just sent it out to email contacts and I had a few responses on my blog. My responses do indicate that there are stereotypes held in the community about Islam however these are also based on my personal opinion of what constitutes a stereotype. Thought you might be interested in the results anyway.
happy Blogging =)


Terrorism 21 , 3 - eg. Arab, Muslims
Muslim 13 , 11 - eg. strict, terrorist, hijab
Islam 15 , 9 - eg. terrorism, middle east, extreme
Christian 22 , 2 - eg. crazy, angry

3 comments:

Fiona said...

They are really interesting results Beck. But in some ways, I'm not surprised... It's amazing how stereotypes are created out of fear. I think that because people were so shook up by recent terrorism e.g. 9/11, Bali, that we have to somehow generalise these people that have purpotrated these acts as a way of recognising danger ourselves. Thus, the most obvious stigma that can be attached to them is their race and religion. Unfortunately for the other millions of Muslims in the world including Australia, they are now judged based on stereotypes that we create based on fear.

Are you going to use this for support in your essay?

Kara said...

Hey Beck
I agree with fiona, very interesting results!! I love how you use such a simple task to highlight stereotypinh! I wish someone did a word association task with similar words in it before 9/11 to see what the contrast would be. I don't think Id even heard the word terrorism before 9/11! Shows how much influence the media has.

Michelle said...

Hi Beck
Interesting results indeed and such a simple concept to capture them. Great data for your essay. With reference to your data, refer to Amandas blog as she mentions how she captured her data in a table that's if you need assistance with loading the data online. Cheers Shell