Monday, August 27, 2007

Time to gather ideas...


Over the first half of semester i have worked on my blog looking at stereotypes and really enjoyed lots of the research i have done. I have looked at some really interesting sources some that i have listed on my page and others that i will discuss in my final work on the topic. As time comes to a close for this blog i thought I would give a brief over view of my question and where I think ( at this stage) I am going to go with the question. Ironically as I begin to compile my thoughts Muslims around the world begin to prepare for Ramadam ( that will begin approx 12th Sept) which for me confirms that i have choosen the right topic and hope that in some way my words will touch at least some who have such a negative view of such a tolerant religion.

Obviously my minority group within the Australian community is going to be those of Muslim Faith. Whilst there has been comments around whether this is a minority I believe that despite its rapid growth within our community it currently can still be viewed as a minority group ( This does however seem hard to believe if you have ever seen just how many people attend the Yarralumla Mosque for friday prayers =) This being said i will describe the sterotype and views that are held about followers of Islam and the common expectantions and views that those in society tend to have. In discussing why this sterotype exists i will predominately focus on current times ( after sept 11) touching however on past views of the religion. In discussing how the sterotype is maintained I will explain factors i think contribute whilst heavily relying on my sources. How the sterotype could be changed for me centers around education and the promotion of intercultural dialogue and an understanding of the faith which I believe can be achieved by further understanding the principles of Islam.

The mosque pictured is in Putra Jaya in Malaysia. I recently visited this mosque and was amazed at its beauty and architecture.

1 comment:

James Neill said...

This is a little bit of an aside, but I'd be curious if you know about the norms / expectations of a non-muslim who would like to visit a mosque and attend a "service" (not sure of correct terminology). Or is it inappropriate to attend?