Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Attracted to similarity...But we are totally different???

This weeks lecture dealt with some interesting social psych theories and the notion that birds of a feather flock together, in that people are often attracted to similarity. I found the lecture really interesting and relevant to my topic and I have noticed from reading some other postings that I am not alone.
When listening to the idea of the matching hypothesis and that people are generally attracted to similarity i began to think how could this apply to cross cultural relationships in where initial meetings and images may reveal anything but similarity.

I think that this theory is still apparent in cross cultural relations despite the obvious differences in looks and cultural practicies. When examining my own relationship I often think of our many differences in appearance, culture, religion, values etc but when I stop and think about we are similar in so many ways. We both attend university, are from families of similar socio economic background, enjoy the same sort of activities like sports and going out with friends etc..so in fact we might share more values then I originally anticipated.

I also agree that it is true that the longer you are around someone in a relationship the more you each begin to make adaptations which increases your shared traits and beliefs. Espacially when you spend time in one anothers cultural setting and in my case spending time in my partners country changed me in some ways.

Any thoughts????

I also found this article about attraction which I found interesting its called The Rules of Attraction and it re-interates a lot of what was said in the lecture and what has been suggested in the theories. Who knew that love and the forming of relationships was so scientific???



Image from: http://www.sallymaxwellsart.com/birds%20of%20a%20feather.JPG

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

Hi Beck,

I am doing the attractiveness question, so have put a fair bit of thought into the whole similarity thing also.

I agree with you, In my relationship myself and my boyfriend are completely different- different cultural backgrounds, different music interests, even different personality styles.

Yet, on a deeper level, we are very similar. Morals, values, family, socioeconomic status etc...

My little hypothesis is that loving relationships need some differentiation to keep them interesting- different interests, personalities etc--- yet I believe typically for a relationship to be at an optimum the couple must share similar goals, morals, ethics and world viewpoints.

I dont know if this interests you, but I have found a fair bit of research on cross cultural attraction-

* Consistency and variability in the cross cultural perception of female physical attractiveness (Cunningham, Roberts, Barbee et al.)

* Female physical attractiveness in Britain and Japan- A cross sultural study (Swami, Capriario, Tovee et al)

* Male physical attractiveness in Britain and Greece a cross cultural study (Swami, Smith, Tsiokris, Tovee et al)

All on PsychINFO.

Good Luck...xx