Monday, September 24, 2007

Australian Values - Cross Cultural Families

I thought that I would make a post on the topical Australian values test and get a feeling for what peoples thoughts on it are. This weeks episode of insight debated the topic and I found a point in the program that I associated with my topic of cross cultural relationships. The episode discussed the values test and also discussed values of migrant families. Children of cross cultural families and children of migrants themselves born in Australia highlighted the differences that are often apparent between parents and children and diffent values that can also be apparent between parents and partners.
Whilst watching the program I began to think of how many different value systems there are and how this can be apparent on a small level such as a family let alone the differences that can be found nationally. Children of cross cultural couples are often exposed to a number of cultures, religions, customs and values. A good example I was personally thinking of was the differences in cultures when greeting someone. In western culture generally it is expected that a handshake and introduction take place, in European cultures a kiss on each cheek occurs and in my boyfriends Malaysian culture it is respectful if the younger person touch their head onto the back of the elders hand. ( very confussing for me as many of my close friends are italian, im Australian and bf family Malay, sometimes im not sure where I'm up to).

My point in all this is that I believe that in Australia where there is such a rich diversity of culture it is hard to nominate an exact set of values that are apparent across society when within families (whilst there are common value sets) there are often different values. A few of you have expressed that you are part of a cross cultural family or relationship and I am interested to know if when growing up you were exposed to both cultures and how you feel about this? or conversely if you wish you knew more about one half of your heritage?

More generally do you see any social psychology principles or theories behind the introduction of the Australian values test????






No comments: