Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Blog Two - Question & Initial Ideas


I know i seem keen but since its the mid semester break and I actually have 5 minutes to spare I thought I would post my new topic and why I choose it.

My topic is Cross Cultural Relationships.

'Describe and analyse a cross cultural relationship with an individual or group which you are or were involved in from a social psychological perspective'

Basically i thought this would be interesting as I'm Australian and my boyfriend is Malaysian, we are opposites in pretty much everyway and I think our different cultures play a part in this. It might be a bit of a challenge to stick to the psychological issues but I am hoping to find some good research and pop culture examples and learn some things along the way... Thought I'd add this photo from when we recently visited malaysia and attended a family wedding. It was my turn to adapt to a new culture and this is us in traditional Malay dress. After I got over the idea that everyone would be wondering why the 'white' girl was all dressed up, I had a really fun time and experienced such a different culture, Ill add some good examples and more pics later on but I think this topic allows me to learn and look at my own personal life and experience in a new way something you dont alway get from assignments...more to come

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi Beck, great photo! I thought you may pick this topic and hence why I checked to see if you had started. You're so keen and I think thats great. I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog and getting an insight into your chosen topic as you get underway for Blog 2. Good luck my friend x Shell

Jacqui Hodge said...

Hey Beck! Awesome picture and post. This topic is great for you and it's nice to read something so personal and close to you, rather than just theories and research which I'm constantly reading about in textbooks and in class etc. I think it's really great to have a friend or partner of a differnt culture or race. I know I personally learn so much from my friends who of differnt race or culture to me. The world would be a boring place if we were all the same. You're so enthusiastic and keen at his whole blogging thing (I'm secretly jealous he he). Your page is by far the most creative so nice work! Jac :-)