Tuesday, September 11, 2007

How Social Psych got me in an argument!!


Yeah it's true, On the weekend while visiting my family I became involved in a heated discussion which I don't think would have taken place had i not be doing this subject. So heres what happend...

My boyfriend and I went down to meet my dad after golf and watch the football on TV for a little while. We were sitting around a table with friends of my dads all in their 50's. My bf was chatting with the friends and I was chatting with my dad. Another man came to the table and I heard him begin to make racist comments towards both my boyfriend and players in the football team. I am not going to repeat what was said however it was enough for me to be assaulted and feel that I needed to say something. To cut a long story short I stated to this man that it is not appropriate in any way or any context for him to make such racial oriented comments and that he should keep his comments to himself. My dad also explained this to the man who after attempting to justify his comments left the table in what I viewed as defeat!!


The point I am trying to make in relation to this subject is that it has taught me so much and this incident really made me realise that. We get so used to hearing these types of racist remarks that we often pretend not hear, laugh them off and turn a blind eye so to speak, something that I would have done on many previous occassions. This time was different, I understood that standing up for others and attempting to break this processes is ok and that it is not right for people to hold such stereotypical views and be allowed to preach them in a public arena within earshot of those who they are speaking off. Maybe I was over the top but I was proud and especially proud of my dad to make such a comment to his peers.


Anyone else feeling that this subject is following them around????

Image from : http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/jlv/lowres/jlvn696l.jpg

2 comments:

Mrs. Freud said...

Good on you Beck for standing up for what is right and for your boyfriend. Although i agree that this subject has raised our awareness of racial occurences and the sometimes 'sensitisation' to racist remarks i think you would have stepped in and said something regardless of taking social psych. Well done on singling this man out for his ignorance and prejudice!

Mike said...

Hey Beck, Well done or standing up for your boyfriend. So I assume this man didn't know your boyfriend really well?

Definitely our society has become desensitized to racist remarks, jokes etc. I am particulary aware of this after working 2 years on construction sites where a day didn't go by without hearing a racist joke.

I have friends of different cultual origins, we sometimes make racist jokes about each other but its all in good spirit, we all know we're just playing around.

However for someone to make racist comments to someone they are not mates with is an appauling thing to do and obviously the man had malicious intent.

Anyway, Sounds like you psyched him out though!! Good work. He might think twice next time!