Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Discrimination of Mixed Race Couples


I thought this was an interestng article about the discrimination and racism that people of mixed race backgrounds face when they are involved in a mixed race relationship. The article is written from a british perspective although I believe that the comments made are also apparent in Australian society. As I mentioned I am part of a mixed race couple and if you look at the photo of us below we are clearly from different races. This does get us some very interesting and rude looks from strangers and comments that we laugh off but could cause offence. People are always intrigged by our relationship (friends and strangers alike) and unfortunately we have become used to answering questions about does your family accept her? or what did your parents say when you first said you were dating him? A lot of the time you find these looks and comments are from older generations however this is not always the case. I distinctly remember my elderly grandmothers response of 'well thats what they're doing these days" and i was happy and suprised at her instant acceptance.


My best friend of Australian and english heritage and her boyfriend of African heritage draw a lot of attention and have been subjected to some horrible situations in which racial stereotypes and racists remarks were made.


I am interested to hear if anyone is part of a cross cultural/ inter racial couple and if you feel that you are subjected to looks comments or can think of any particular experience where you felt judged????


Thanks everyone =)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I would like to introduce to you one of the first Interracial Personal Listings Service you may find on the Internet! We do more than offer a common forum for those of us interested in interracial dating, we also address the political issues of interracial relationships, interracial marriage, mixed children, and how society has changed and is changing to accept such diversity in our daily lives.

http://www.interracialfriends.com

Michelle said...

Hi Beck
Thank you for your comments on my blog http://michelle-socialpsychology.blogspot.com/. With reference to your posting on 'mixed race couples', my parents married against my grandmothers wishes as my dad is of asian descent and my mother of european. My grandmother despite liking my father didn't want my mother to experience racism. My parents married in the 60s and I think they were quite progressive back then to move forward together despite the protests of those around them.

We did experience racist taunts when I was little but as I grew up I realised peoples stares were more out of intrigue than anything else. I would watch them look from my father to my mother, then to each of the 3 siblings. It was more amusing to me then offensive. I never saw my parents as different, i just thought it was normal to have parents of different backgrounds.

Now my partner is of croatian descent and while there are no differences in appearance there are many differences between us. I truly believe I am very open to cultural difference because I grew up with them and work through them to the best of my ability. I'm mainly talking about behaviourial differences, expression etc. There is never a dull moment and we learn so much from each other.

Sarah said...

Hey Beck,
Although i am not part of any mixed race relationships i can appreciate completely what you are saying, i don't understand why people still have these old fashioned views of mixed race relationships. One thing i think has had a great influence on me is what my parents believe. They are accepting of all cultures and have always taught us kids to be the same, i think a lot of discrimination stems from what people are bought up believing.I think i am all the better for accepting all types of different cultures, we can learn so much off each other!